Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Hugs and kisses

Animals are a lot like cars. The minute you say one thing, they do the opposite. So it is with Beasty Boy. Yesterday I was boasting about how he was beginning to separate from me. Almost as soon as I completed the postand put it on my blog, I went outside to check on him, and he immediately climbed on my lap. So much for reverting to the wild. Admittedly I had awakened him and he was bit groggy. Therefore I assume that my lap was marginally softer than the deck. However, once he had finished yawning, he was up and tearing about.

Of course, there's a stage in the process of soft release when the critter in question has a foot, or a paw, in both worlds. For the rehabilitator, it is one of the nicest times. In 8 years, I've had the pleasure of having a squirrel, a raccoon, a fox, a dove, a blackbird, a bluejay, and even a hawk light on my lap as they adjusted to the wonder of being outdoors. In fact, the only animal that never tried it was a deer, and that was quite simply because she wouldn't fit.

Most people have moments they'll treasure. For me, it's the gentle kiss of a fox upon my hand, the nuzzel of a deer upon my neck, tiny raccoon hands playing with my face and the brush of a blackbird's beak upon my lips.

Every time, I think of giving up working with wildlife because it seems too expensive a hobby to continue, I remember these moments and decide that I'll stick it out, just a little while longer. If you are interested in donating wildlife conservation, please go to the following website.

http://jessicalittledeer.wetpaint.com

No comments: