Sunday, July 27, 2008

Get by with a little help from my friends . . .

Trying to get this blog and a couple of websites up and running has been one of the more traumatic experiences of my life. I try to set up music and end up with ruddy great white space on the page. I try to remove this and can find no instructions. Elsewhere, I try to insert some instructions in HTML, do it right, but it doesn't work. Sigh.

Last week's difficulty was getting a donate button on the website I have designed for a 501(c)3 that deals with wildlife conservation. Seems simple enough, go to pay pal, get the appropriate HTML code and paste it in. What I ended up with rather than a nice tidy little button was a bunch of goobledy gook in HTML, printed out on the page.

Support for most of these sites is next to nonexistent, and help files often no help at all unless you can divine the tag or keywords under which is it logged. Although most these organizations try to provide assistance, often the response is: "I don't know", "can't do it", or "have you tried our help files?" And one can well imagine they are probably tired of getting frantic e-mails from this adventurous imbecile who has more ideas than know-how.

Enter now, our heros, Elaine Klonicki and John Wood, who rescued me from myself. John Wood provided the donate button and the wherewithal to do it, and Elaine Klonicki gave me both moral support and an idiot's lesson in blogs. Visit their websites Elaine at: http://www.klonicki.com/, blog: www.klonicki.com/blog and John's I believe can be found at http://www.johnwood.com/.

While I get by with a little help from my friends . . . . Now if anyone can help me get that ruddy great blank spot off this blog, I'd be eternally grateful.

No comments: